Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 19 of 22 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 22
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I know of 3 nice mule deer 4x4 bucks that came out of southern Idaho archery hunts, all with 80+ yard shots.

One guy I don’t know well shot one at over 100 yards (supposedly) and I suspect he just put his 80 yard pin 5 feet over the bucks’s back and let ‘er rip. I have a pic of that buck alive somewhere when I jumped him pheasant hunting near Rupert earlier in the year.

The other two bucks came out of the Owyhees from a hunter I have known for years. I would trust that guy to take a responsible 80 yard shot with a bow way before I’d trust the vast majority of rifle hunters to take a 100 yard shot.

I guess that is my way of saying, I see long range bow hunting just like long range rifle hunting. Some can responsibly do it, and some shouldn’t even have a tag. It is what it is. I am not the one who should decide who is who.

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I know of 3 nice mule deer 4x4 bucks that came out of southern Idaho archery hunts, all with 80+ yard shots.

One guy I don’t know well shot one at over 100 yards (supposedly) and I suspect he just put his 80 yard pin 5 feet over the bucks’s back and let ‘er rip. I have a pic of that buck alive somewhere when I jumped him pheasant hunting near Rupert earlier in the year.

The other two bucks came out of the Owyhees from a hunter I have known for years. I would trust that guy to take a responsible 80 yard shot with a bow way before I’d trust the vast majority of rifle hunters to take a 100 yard shot.

I guess that is my way of saying, I see long range bow hunting just like long range rifle hunting. Some can responsibly do it, and some shouldn’t even have a tag. It is what it is. I am not the one who should decide who is who.
There is NO SUCH THING as a "responsible" 100 yard bow shot at a whitetail. The arrows time of flight is way too long and YOU HAVE NO CONTROL of what the deer does while the arrow is on it's way. Most responsible, experienced bow hunters here will not attempt a shot longer than 40 yards with the fastest of compound bows for that reason.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by BC30cal
We've found it helpful to carry trail tape and put a couple big strands where we've shot from since sometimes it's been necessary to go back at least once to get the bearings on where the animal was.

Dwayne

I do this more often than a guy would think. Sometimes I backtrack 2-3 times before I put the puzzle pieces together.

I remember one spring bear in WY, I had to go back multiple times to where I shot from and get my bearings. That shot wasn’t but maybe 150-200 yards in a steep but not very wide canyon. It took a few hours to find that bear and it fell at the shot and slid just a few feet before being wedged into a down tree.

Glad I am not the only one who has had to do that.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by sherm_61
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by sherm_61
Originally Posted by DonFischer
Well your wrong. Those guy's using bows at those distances I find as bad or worse. The good thing about it is there aren't that many guy's getting on the internet bragging about it and in turn encouraging other's to do it.
Well you never mentioned it, its always the BAD, UNETHICAL ,EGO, etc LR rifle hunter.
What does bragging about it in the internet have anything to do with it, how many T.V shows do you see guys letting an arrow loose at 80 yards? PLENTY
I must have missed those shows.
Yeah, me too. Must be a Western thing. Everybody in my camp bow hunts. None consider their max range more than 40 yards and the closer the better. One uses a recurve and won't shoot past 20 yards. He's arrowed a lot of nice buck within that distance.
Yeah I know all us western folk are just LR slob, UNETHICAL can't hunt POS hunters i get it.
But when it comes time to kill an elk or M.D who they asking advice from not you eastern type.
Pretty hard to take a shot farther than 20 yards when you can't see much farther than that in your woods.
Don't put words in my mouth. I never said all Western hunters are slobs. What I said was I never saw any shows where bow hunters took 80 yard shots. No bowhunter I know around here would attempt a shot that far so if you have seen it, it might be a Western thing.
Maybe you should go back a few pages about the can't get closer, unethical shots, LR is just slob hunters ring a bell.
Everybody in " your" camp thats all you wanna compare the whole hunting world too.
Ya gotta be the judge and jury when you don't obviously know [bleep] about LR hunting or shooting

Last edited by sherm_61; 03/28/24.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

There is NO SUCH THING as a "responsible" 100 yard bow shot at a whitetail. The arrows time of flight is way too long and YOU HAVE NO CONTROL of what the deer does while the arrow is on it's way. Your friend is in fact a slob hunter, no matter how well he can place arrows in an inanimate target at that range. Most responsible, experienced bow hunter here will not attempt a shot longer than 40 yards with the fastest of compound bows for that reason.

Holy cow dude, did you just glance at my post and make an estrogen fueled reaction? Did you honestly even read it?

You’d be a psychology student’s wet dream. Carry on, I guess but please at least try to see both sides of the issue.

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B

There is NO SUCH THING as a "responsible" 100 yard bow shot at a whitetail. The arrows time of flight is way too long and YOU HAVE NO CONTROL of what the deer does while the arrow is on it's way. Your friend is in fact a slob hunter, no matter how well he can place arrows in an inanimate target at that range. Most responsible, experienced bow hunter here will not attempt a shot longer than 40 yards with the fastest of compound bows for that reason.

Holy cow dude, did you just glance at my post and make an estrogen fueled reaction? Did you honestly even read it?

You’d be a psychology student’s wet dream. Carry on, I guess but please at least try to see both sides of the issue.
Yeah I read it. NOBODY can responsibly take an 80+ yard shot at a live deer with a bow. I don't care if they can hit a golf ball every time from that far.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Phil Shoemaker 458WM 500 grain RN backing up a hunter on moose at 500ish yards. Leupold 2.5x optic. Dead moose.
👍🏼

Unnamed average hunters everywhere shooting past 250 yards, miss and wound more often than not. My observations.

The video of the marine who accepted the “every shot between 200 and 600 on gallon jugs” tells the story of the average person really well. Missed 2,3,4 shots and hadn’t gotten past 450 yet using rangefinder, good optics, shooting prone with bipod. I stopped watching there.

The only person who has the opportunity to make the right decision is the guy pulling the trigger.
It’s a free country.
F01

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
There seem to be a lot more shooters that like to kill stuff now days than there are people who like to hunt. I shoot some woodchucks occasionally and when I do I tell my wife I'm going to go shoot some woodchucks. I have a hard time calling it "woodchuck hunting" when I'll be sitting overlooking a large field with a .22-250 perched on a bipod in front of me. Obviously 740 yards is farther than Burns should be shooting at antelope based on the gut shot due to "a slight miscalculation of wind".

Things happen at all distances and not every hunt is over with one shot. I am not scared to show a miscalculation and how I fixed the issue to become better.

Here is better.

Nice shot, John.

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
These type of threads are never not entertaining.........imagine being an outsider looking in at the different view points...........

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Should be called LONG RANGE SHOOTING FOR UNQUALIFIED PEOPLE!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I ordered a MK 4 once for a ELR hunt in south Florida but it didn't pan out.

Love Ksmïthïnhïzzër/fląvöřÐ.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I have no clue what ‘Backfire’ is, nor who this Jim person is but he hasn’t been waiting on me. I’ve never made the claim that I could shoot like that but it doesn’t mean that nobody can. I have said many times here I am way more of a hunter than a shooter. I get bored very easily with paper or steel targets.

600 yards isn’t terribly far this day in age. There are a few people on this forum and elsewhere that I suspect could reliably make those shots but they’re generally the more modest and less talkative type.

I don’t know what to tell you dude, other than to keep an open mind about things.

T Inman;
Good evening my friend, I hope the last week of the 3rd month has been behaving for you and you're well up there.

Since I do watch Jim on Backfire on occasion, I was aware of his challenge.

To be crystal clear, as I believe you know of me T, I don't yet own a laser range finder and while I do have a couple scopes that seem to dial fairly reliably, I really haven't spent the time learning to do it.

However as you said, that doesn't mean nobody can or that I believe no one should.

This young guide from Wyoming puts in a pretty fair showing with a stock Tikka and Hornady ammo.

Again as I said to Jordan, my participation is to encourage hunters who shoot near or far to go take a look once they shoot with whatever it is they're hunting with.

As always, I appreciate your input on subjects T as I know you've put in the time on the mountain - well on the flat lands too likely, but it's a BC saying maybe... wink

Best to you sir.

Dwayne

Hi Dwayne, I trust you had a great Easter long weekend!

Great post, while he was shooting I was wondering how the barrel heated up would effect his shooting. His misses were not drastic and from what I could tell if he was shooting at a moose or an elk, they would have been dead.

Also found it interesting that he shoots a Huskemaw Blue Diamond as I do, when I hunt Elk. He may have been missing the shots he did because he was shooting a Tikka lol.

In any case what I took away from the video is how he set up the targets randomly and at different yardages, great way to practice for real hunting situations. I will be doing the same this summer.

Here is another of his videos on "Cross Canyon" shooting. I am surprised that he was not using a Wind Meter.

Cheers ~

Last edited by KillerBee; 04/02/24.

KB

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Most responsible, experienced bow hunters here will not attempt a shot longer than 40 yards with the fastest of compound bows for that reason.

LMAO

Shoot the distances you're comfortable at taking, don't exceed your capabilities, and you will do fine. I do not know many people who enjoy wounding gritters. I know a few people that don't care. When that has happened to me, I felt like puking.

If you can take effective shots with a bow @ 80 yards take them, if not, don't. Pretty simple philosophy, one that I follow myself.

Last edited by KillerBee; 04/02/24.

KB

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
What I said was I never saw any shows where bow hunters took 80 yard shots. No bowhunter I know around here would attempt a shot that far so if you have seen it, it might be a Western thing.

For someone who claims to be very much into bow hunting to repeatedly make these asinine claims that no one “responsible” is doing it is downright humorous but talking out of your ass is what you do best.

So Mr Self Proclaimed Bad Ass Bowhunter, have you ever heard the name Levi Morgan or the show Bow Life? If not he’s a multi time national champion archer with his own show Bow Life that is carried on several outdoor networks. On these shows he quite often shoots game animals at 70 yds and several times out to even 100yds. Oh and it’s a western thing? Funny Levi grew up in NC and currently lives in Pennsylvania.

I’m not the best at geography but I’m pretty sure that Penn and NY aren’t real far apart and no one with a brain would call Pennsylvania the west.

Basically anyone who has followed archery at all in the last 20 years knows of Levi. So again your FOS

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by MallardAddict
What I said was I never saw any shows where bow hunters took 80 yard shots. No bowhunter I know around here would attempt a shot that far so if you have seen it, it might be a Western thing.

For someone who claims to be very much into bow hunting to repeatedly make these asinine claims that no one “responsible” is doing it is downright humorous but talking out of your ass is what you do best.

So Mr Self Proclaimed Bad Ass Bowhunter, have you ever heard the name Levi Morgan or the show Bow Life? If not he’s a multi time national champion archer with his own show Bow Life that is carried on several outdoor networks. On these shows he quite often shoots game animals at 70 yds and several times out to even 100yds. Oh and it’s a western thing? Funny Levi grew up in NC and currently lives in Pennsylvania.

I’m not the best at geography but I’m pretty sure that Penn and NY aren’t real far apart and no one with a brain would call Pennsylvania the west.

Basically anyone who has followed archery at all in the last 20 years knows of Levi. So again your FOS
What I am is a responsible hunter that is damned tired of finding dead and wounded deer in the woods year after year that were poorly hit and not recovered by ass holes taking hail Mary shots because they suck at hunting. I never said I was an avid bow hunter. I haven't "followed archery" and don't much give a damn about this Levi character. I have bow and crossbow hunted for a few seasons and always managed to fill my tags but I'm far from what anybody would call an avid archer.. Some of my friends are avid archers and bow hunters and are very good at it. They won't take risky shots and don't need to because they're good hunters who can put themselves within sure kill range consistently. What they aren't doing is trying to make videos and that saves them from having to edit out bad hits from taking those risky long shots.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What I am is a responsible hunter that is damned tired of finding dead and wounded deer in the woods year after year that were poorly hit and not recovered by ass holes taking hail Mary shots because they suck at hunting. I never said I was an avid bow hunter. I haven't "followed archery" and don't much give a damn about this Levi character. I have bow and crossbow hunted for a few seasons and always managed to fill my tags but I'm far from what anybody would call an avid archer.. Some of my friends are avid archers and bow hunters and are very good at it. They won't take risky shots and don't need to because they're good hunters who can put themselves within sure kill range consistently. What they aren't doing is trying to make videos and that saves them from having to edit out bad hits from taking those risky long shots.

You need to head off the the archery forum and whine there about guys who have more skill than you are willing to develop.

As you admit you have no experience with longer range rifle shooting on game so quit your bitchin about that which you know nothing.

Those skills would be worthless to me. There is no place to develop them or to put them to use where I live and hunt.

Thanks for your attention to this matter.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I used to work with a guy who had his own 500 yard range set up in the field right out his back door. I listened to him brag about what a great shot he was and how he could consistently hit small targets and kill woodchucks at the far end of his hay field/range all the time. He bragged how easy it was for him to kill deer in that field because no matter where they came out he could kill them right from his bench on the back porch. Then deer season came along and with it came the excuses. Said he'd shot at a huge buck that came out at the far end of the field, was sure he'd hit it but looked all day and couldn't find it or any sign he'd even hit it. I said I didn't know what to tell him other than if he'd get off his dead ass and go find one to shoot at 50 yards instead of 500 his chances of losing it would go down and his chances of recovering it up by about 10 times. Kinda like if you'd have been 300 yards from that pronghorn in your video rather than 640, you likely wouldn't have gut shot the fuggin thing. You'll have to pardon me for not being impressed with either of you.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Good evening Blackheart,

At 80 yards with my bow I can hit this 50% of the time, the other shots are really close.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

It's all a matter of practice, and FYI, a moose's vitals are WAYYYYYYYYY LARGER

cool

Last edited by KillerBee; 04/03/24.

KB

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Calvin
We've found it helpful to carry trail tape and put a couple big strands where we've shot from since sometimes it's been necessary to go back at least once to get the bearings on where the animal was.

Dwayne

I do this more often than a guy would think. Sometimes I backtrack 2-3 times before I put the puzzle pieces together.

I remember one spring bear in WY, I had to go back multiple times to where I shot from and get my bearings. That shot wasn’t but maybe 150-200 yards in a steep but not very wide canyon. It took a few hours to find that bear and it fell at the shot and slid just a few feet before being wedged into a down tree.

Glad I am not the only one who has had to do that.

LOL. It’s the “old way” and many of us have, and currently do it. Too easy to lose a spot, and this small effort might make the difference between finding an animal or not. Good standard practice if you have less experienced people with you.

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 19 of 22 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 22

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (153, 10gaugeman, 1234, 160user, 10Glocks, 52 invisible), 2,377 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,530
Posts18,472,693
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.