Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
It may be a long read and I'm either hoping you will enable me or talk me off the ledge..

I sold my 870 Tactical ghost ring shotgun that was my turkey back up and my bedroom closet gun. My nephew really liked it so I sold it to him for closet duty. Now my little browning BPS upland 22 inch barrel 20 gauge is the new closet gun.

I have 5 other turkey guns (12 & 20 Auto, 3 single shots) but not a short 20 gauge pump or auto repeater for turkey blind duty.

So the dilema is... I'm contemplating putting a holosun Shake awake red dot meadow creek mount on the BPS for night shooting and turkey. It takes my BPS out of grouse hunting backup duty.

Do I stop the madness on the BPS and just get the little rem 870 filedmaster compact 20 and make that into my turkey gun and not mess with it... And put the holosun red dot and make that my new closet gun?

Or just stop the madness and don't add any more turkey guns and leave the browning BPS alone?

(but a securuty shotgun with shake awake red dot would be cool...)

Is you bedroom closet gun a dedicated 12 gauge cylinder bore or one of your turkey guns?

Last edited by humdinger; 03/29/24.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
GB1

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Get the 870, preparing a shotgun to hunt with is part of the fun.
Sighting system, choke tube, what ammo works for it....
Just adds to the anticipation of getting into the woods!
Plus its good for the economy 😸

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Really??!!!! You're asking us if you should get another gun or not!!! Lol!

Personally, I used a Rem 870 Express 20ga youth as the platform for a dedicated turkey gun, wanted the 21" barrel, choke tubes, and smaller frame size. No regrets, very pleased with the result. I don't double duty a shotgun, but that's just me, but definitely would if circumstances were different.

I know the BPS Upland has a 22" barrel and is also heavier than the 870, if that's a concern/thought.

My opinion, BUY ANOTHER GUN! LOL!

Whichever you end up with, enjoy!

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson
Really??!!!! You're asking us if you should get another gun or not!!! Lol!

Personally, I used a Rem 870 Express 20ga youth as the platform for a dedicated turkey gun, wanted the 21" barrel, choke tubes, and smaller frame size. No regrets, very pleased with the result. I don't double duty a shotgun, but that's just me, but definitely would if circumstances were different.

I know the BPS Upland has a 22" barrel and is also heavier than the 870, if that's a concern/thought.

My opinion, BUY ANOTHER GUN! LOL!

Whichever you end up with, enjoy!

Well the compact 870 is more manueverable in close combat situations.. and blind situations,, and a shorter stock for the wife for trap shooting... (I'm talking myself into it... keep working on me guys)

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Its always fun to put together a new gun. Go for it. And +1 on the Holosun and the Meadow Creek mounts. I really like mine.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B2

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
It's an investment

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Oh yes! Buy a new shotgun (or three 😁)..Playing with a new gun IS the best part...Enjoy!....Hb

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
By all means, get another gun!

Nothing wrong with a dedicated turkey gun, and dedicated grouse gun, a dedicated rainy day grouse gun, a dedicated ....

My dedicated closet gun is a Benelli M4 with a Leupold DeltaPoint.

Over the past few years I have replaced all my pumps with autos. Easier on my shoulder and wife doesn't like pump shotguns.

DON’T BE TOO PROUD OF THIS TECHNOLOGICAL TERROR YOU’VE CONSTRUCTED. THE ABILITY TO DESTROY A PLANET IS INSIGNIFICANT NEXT TO THE POWER OF THE FORCE.

- Darth Vader
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by humdinger
It may be a long read and I'm either hoping you will enable me or talk me off the ledge..

I sold my 870 Tactical ghost ring shotgun that was my turkey back up and my bedroom closet gun. My nephew really liked it so I sold it to him for closet duty. Now my little browning BPS upland 22 inch barrel 20 gauge is the new closet gun.

I have 5 other turkey guns (12 & 20 Auto, 3 single shots) but not a short 20 gauge pump or auto repeater for turkey blind duty.

So the dilema is... I'm contemplating putting a holosun Shake awake red dot meadow creek mount on the BPS for night shooting and turkey. It takes my BPS out of grouse hunting backup duty.

Do I stop the madness on the BPS and just get the little rem 870 filedmaster compact 20 and make that into my turkey gun and not mess with it... And put the holosun red dot and make that my new closet gun?

Or just stop the madness and don't add any more turkey guns and leave the browning BPS alone?

Is you bedroom closet gun a dedicated 12 gauge cylinder bore or one of your turkey guns?

At the moment, it’s an Ithaca SuperDeluxe Deerslayer 20”, with the factory Williams receiver sight, circa 1963. Backup is my S&W 5.7 with a shake-awake Holosun and Olight laser/light combo, plus a Shield Plus with RD and night sights, plus my around-the-house-if-I-have-pants-on LCPII and an M63 with laser grips.

Briefly owned a 590S but it was just too damn heavy and unwieldy when stuffed full, so off it went…..

What fresh Hell is this?
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Pappy348

At the moment, it’s an Ithaca SuperDeluxe Deerslayer 20”, with the factory Williams receiver sight, circa 1963. Backup is my S&W 5.7 with a shake-awake Holosun and Olight laser/light combo, plus a Shield Plus with RD and night sights, plus my around-the-house-if-I-have-pants-on LCPII and an M63 with laser grips.

Briefly owned a 590S but it was just too damn heavy and unwieldy when stuffed full, so off it went…..

Nice selection. if I ever have to knock on your door at night... I will stand with my arms up in the air and pose no threat.

The deer slayer as a defensive shotgun remiinds me the local funstore has a used one....

IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by jc189
Its always fun to put together a new gun. Go for it. And +1 on the Holosun and the Meadow Creek mounts. I really like mine.

Please explain those OU's and what they are and if both barrels shoot to the same POA.

Side note: I tried my browning 725 and it shot perfect, but I can't put sights or red dot on it because of trap shooting and grouse hunting... but dang it makes me think of getting a Cynergy for a turkey / duck gun. They need a quick clamp red dot mount..

I bought a 20 Gauge steven's 555 for a turkey gun concept. It on the consignment rack now.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
There's mounts that attach to the rib. Personally, I don't like mounting to a rib, but there's plenty of people that do.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
The silver one in the middle is a Stevens 410. It is chambered for 3" shells and it has Jebb's TSS Turkey chokes. Its deadly out to 40yds with Apex, Rouge or Salt Creek #9.5 TSS loads. The bottom barrel shoots just a tad low but not much. Maybe 2 to 3 inches below POA at 30yds. It has not been a problem. If a follow up shot is needed, put it on his head. It certainly does the job.

I bought it for my 10 year old granddaughter last year. She shot her first gobbler with it.

The bottom O/U is a CZ 28ga. It is chambered for 3" shells also. It has Carlson TSS Turkey chokes. Both barrels shoot to the same POA. Its a Hammer with #9 TSS. My 9 year old grandson Shot his first Gobbler with it this year during our youth weekend.

Last edited by jc189; 03/29/24.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I’ve got a tricked out Benelli for turkey that I absolutely love. But it doesn’t kill them any deader than the Stevens 301 compact 20ga I bought last year. 22” barrel, short stock and a fastfire 3 on a Sumtoy base. With an Indian creek 555 choke it throws a great pattern, is easy to carry and very maneuverable. All in cost including drilling and tapping the barrel and the rattle can paint job of about $600 compared to over $2000 for the Benelli

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
I’ve finally paired down to two turkey guns. I have others that could go kill turkeys, but my 21” 870 20ga and my 20” TC Encore 20ga, and TSS #9s is all I’ll ever need for any turkey hunt, anywhere. I’m trying out Holosun 407Ks on both and I’m liking them so far. My patterns are getting too unforgiving for beads and open sights. I replaced other dedicated ‘turkey guns’ with other firearms I’ll use outside of turkey season.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Have a 870 20 ga. Fieldmaster with a Carlson tube....Fastfire III dot.....handloads of TSS 9's throws a wicked pattern out to further than anyone should shoot an ole Tom. Also have a Stevens 301 20 ga. with red dot....be carrying that on some hunts this year as well. I like to switch around thru the season depending on the situation outlook for the day. Use to carry a BPS 12 ga for years but the weight got to be too much once the 20 ga. started to catch on.....sold it and never looked back.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pappy348

Nice selection. if I ever have to knock on your door at night... I will stand with my arms up in the air and pose no threat.

The deer slayer as a defensive shotgun remiinds me the local funstore has a used one....

Knock, then step back away from the door; only gonna say it once…😜

When I sighted it in with Tru Balls, one of my shooting buddies was watching from a distance. He said it looked like I was really taking a beating. He was right!

Last edited by Pappy348; 03/29/24.

What fresh Hell is this?
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Sumtoy makes a really nice mount for Holosun as well. Be warned that you have to specify repeatedly that you need the trijicon base. If you don't they may send you the base for the fast fire...... twice lol. With that being said it's a direct fit and sits much lower then anything else I have found

Hook and Book, Shoot and Scoot
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
^^^ I have a Warne rib mount on my 870 20ga w/a Holosun 407 on top. It’s pretty low, but not sure it’s worth obsessing over hight since I’m not trying to wingshoot with it. wink I honestly can’t recall the last time I thought of a 12ga for a turkey gun. Gotta be 15 years with a 20ga now.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Bedroom long gun is a Mossberg 500 Youth 20gauge. 2 3/4” #3 buck with an attached frantic and frightened middle-aged female in case warnings are ignored.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (06hunter59, 1_deuce, 219 Wasp, 12344mag, 222Sako, 1minute, 70 invisible), 2,631 guests, and 1,333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,564
Posts18,473,207
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.