-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Best you take that up with Switch who made the claim, not me.

my post is clear in that they are seperate independent systems.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by djs
Poorly designed system and sub-par pilots. Pretty simple. If crap isn't working TURN IT OFF or pull the breakers.

Not sure of all the details, but the Ethiopian pilots apparently followed Boeing's instructions. see: https://www.wsj.com/articles/ethiop...ps-to-disable-737-max-system-11554263276

This may indicate either there are other issues or the certification protocol missed some points.

They failed to disconnect the system, either at the on/off switches just under the throttle quadrants or failing that, pull the offending circuit breakers. Apparently US airlines had the same incidents occur to them and they handled it with no problems.

I would agree to this.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Came out today, info from the so called black boxes had the pilots doing exactly what they were suppose to. Low altitude didn't give them a chance.

Phil

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Greyghost
Came out today, info from the so called black boxes had the pilots doing exactly what they were suppose to. Low altitude didn't give them a chance.l

No. Not exactly. They did the initial step correctly but then apparently turned the system back on when they couldn't fly the jet. Why you would do that I have no idea.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/e...eps-to-disable-737-max-system-2019-04-03

A lot of good discussion on the mishap on the aviation boards from informed people and it hasn't changed my opinion that this issue is one of training, systems knowledge and airmanship.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I also learned something knew but not unexpected, that every aircraft has different flying characteristics and thus behave differently. For example in the Max 8, the way to recover from a stall or avoiding one after 'bitching betty" or rudder/stick shaker kicks in, is to immediately start trimming nose and stick down BEFORE adding power. In the airplane I flew it was a simultaneous event. Also, while TRIM DISCONNECT does not disable MCAS, the two switches directly below the throttles do and that is what should have been done. Also, regarding the comment about making aircraft more and more hands off, that is the route AIRBUS took years ago (and it's still costing lives), whereas Boeing still gives the PIC a lot more reliance on his skills as it should be. It's all about "train how you are going to fight". In Naval Aviation, we practiced stalls of every kind, departure, in short, the full maneuvering envelope of the airframe, virtually every time we went up. Airline pilots just don't have that luxury.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B2

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Came out today, info from the so called black boxes had the pilots doing exactly what they were suppose to. Low altitude didn't give them a chance.

Phil

I have several friends who flew military and commercial. The agree that low altitude limits your options (time to recover); one friend stalled at 72,000', but had time to recover!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by djs

Phil

I have several friends who flew military and commercial. The agree that low altitude limits your options (time to recover); one friend stalled at 72,000', but had time to recover!

Well nosbit, Sherlock. Altitude, like speed is life. Just finished a gent talking about it on the news. it turns out, the KNUCKLEHEADS in the cockpit, turned the damned box back on FOUR TIMES after it malfunctioned. FOUR TIMES. That right there tells me a LOT>

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Well, reading the link, it appears that they turned it back on because it was impossible to trim manually.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JoeBob
Well, reading the link, it appears that they turned it back on because it was impossible to trim manually.

Pitch (& roll) trim are independent of the MCAS. The problem is, with the MCAS engaged, available pitch trim is very limited. I wasn't in the cockpit so we really won't know until the full report comes out AND vetted by the FAA and Boeing, but ostensibly, with pitch trim disconnected, you can manually trim with the big trim wheels on the side of the throttle quadrant. The huge turd in the punch bowl with MCAS, if you wait too long and the system (MCAS) has trimmed nose down and at low altitude, you're screwed (From what I saw nose down pitch was at 6 degrees which is YUGE and your trim tab only gives you ~1 degree. In the airplane I flew pitch trim was electric only, so it the pitch trim failed, you could still fly the jet with no issues, although coming aboard, could get a bit sporty. Suffice it to sa, if they kept turning it back on and every time it came on it kept trimming nose down, well we know the rest.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How many angle of attack sensors do commercial aircraft typically have? The one article I looked at, that I can't remember the name of unfortunately, made it sound like that the MCAS system for the 738 Max took all of its data from one angle of attack sensor?

EDIT: I should have typed 'from a SINGLE angle of attack sensor.'
Would that make sense to any of you aviators?

Last edited by 340boy; 04/04/19.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
It has two aoa probes. The MCAS only reads from the port (pilots) side.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
It has two aoa probes. The MCAS only reads from the port (pilots) side.

Interesting! Thank you.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
It seems a pretty simple fix with a software update , a cutoff switch , and a little pilot training. MACS needs to be limited in its trim range and able to be permanently disengaged with a flick of a switch so power to the trim isn’t cut. Pilots need to be trained to recognize the issue and cut MACS off. Boeing screwed the pooch by giving MACS too much ability to trim , not providing a MACS cutout that didn’t cut power to the stabilizer , and hiding the systems nature from the pilots.
All this talk about how the aircraft is unstable and therefore unsafe is ridiculous. The slight nose up from the forward engine mounting means little as long as you are aware of this. Pilots need to trim their aircraft due to weight distribution and atmospherics every flight and compensating for the natural forward lift is no different than trimming the aircraft for weight and atmospherics.
The killer in this situation is that the pilots cut the power back on to the stabilizer to be able to get the stabilizer down but were unaware that MACS was going to throw it back up again in ten seconds. If they had turned the power back on for only a few seconds to get the stabilizer down and then cut it off again before MACS could intervene again they probably wouldn’t have crashed. MACS made it so the pilots couldn’t fly the aircraft by hand.
It’s Boeing’s fault but the MAX8 is a good platform that was made unsafe by Boeing trying to make it seem exactly like the 737NG when it wasn’t.

‘TO LEARN WHO RULES OVER YOU, SIMPLY FIND OUT WHO YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CRITICIZE’

Conspiracy theorists are the ones who see it all coming…

You are the carbon they want to eliminate !

I’m Uber Deplorable Ultra MAGA !
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Daveinjax
It seems a pretty simple fix with a software update , a cutoff switch , and a little pilot training. MACS needs to be limited in its trim range and able to be permanently disengaged with a flick of a switch so power to the trim isn’t cut. Pilots need to be trained to recognize the issue and cut MACS off. Boeing screwed the pooch by giving MACS too much ability to trim , not providing a MACS cutout that didn’t cut power to the stabilizer , and hiding the systems nature from the pilots.
All this talk about how the aircraft is unstable and therefore unsafe is ridiculous. The slight nose up from the forward engine mounting means little as long as you are aware of this. Pilots need to trim their aircraft due to weight distribution and atmospherics every flight and compensating for the natural forward lift is no different than trimming the aircraft for weight and atmospherics.
The killer in this situation is that the pilots cut the power back on to the stabilizer to be able to get the stabilizer down but were unaware that MACS was going to throw it back up again in ten seconds. If they had turned the power back on for only a few seconds to get the stabilizer down and then cut it off again before MACS could intervene again they probably wouldn’t have crashed. MACS made it so the pilots couldn’t fly the aircraft by hand.
It’s Boeing’s fault but the MAX8 is a good platform that was made unsafe by Boeing trying to make it seem exactly like the 737NG when it wasn’t.

My question would be why did the MACS system decide that the aircraft was approaching a stall condition. Or was it just a bad reading from the AOA probe (which IIRC was written up in the maintenance log on a prior flight).

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
The two aircraft that crashed only had one sensor, the foreign registered aircraft only had one , while U.S. registered aircraft had two basically a back-up.

Phil

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

My question would be why did the MACS system decide that the aircraft was approaching a stall condition. Or was it just a bad reading from the AOA probe (which IIRC was written up in the maintenance log on a prior flight).

Another bad decision by Boeing to use only one AOA indicator instead of two and a warning of conflicting AOA readings. The entire MACS is a bad idea born out of regulation avoidance. If they weren’t trying to avoid pilot certification training costs for airlines and aircraft recertification costs and time there wouldn’t even be a MACS.

‘TO LEARN WHO RULES OVER YOU, SIMPLY FIND OUT WHO YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CRITICIZE’

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Another bad decision by Boeing to use only one AOA indicator instead of two and a warning of conflicting AOA readings. The entire MACS is a bad idea born out of regulation avoidance. If they weren’t trying to avoid pilot certification training costs for airlines and aircraft recertification costs and time there wouldn’t even be a MACS.

That was what I was wondering about, why not have 2 or, even, 3 AOA sensors and have the MACS read all of them? I realize that would be expensive, but I can't help but wonder if the redundancy in taking readings from 3 independent sensors and then making a decision as far as a stall condition be more reliable?

Again, I am no pilot or aeronautical engineer, so thanks for indulging my(perhaps silly) questions. smile

Last edited by 340boy; 04/04/19.

James Elroy Flecker

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I also blame the FAA a little. The differences between the 737NG and the MAX 8 shouldn’t have triggered a full aircraft and pilot certification so Boeing wouldn’t have tried too hard to cover what are in reality small differences to avoid triggering huge compliance costs. The FAA cooperated with Boeing on covering up the differences instead of making Boeing do some reasonable testing for a modification of the certification of the 737 NG for the MAX 8 and then a truthful and transparent flight manual. In the end the ultimate responsibility rest with Boeing.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by JoeBob

Pitch (& roll) trim are independent of the MCAS. The problem is, with the MCAS engaged, available pitch trim is very limited. I wasn't in the cockpit so we really won't know until the full report comes out AND vetted by the FAA and Boeing, but ostensibly, with pitch trim disconnected, you can manually trim with the big trim wheels on the side of the throttle quadrant. The huge turd in the punch bowl with MCAS, if you wait too long and the system (MCAS) has trimmed nose down and at low altitude, you're screwed (From what I saw nose down pitch was at 6 degrees which is YUGE and your trim tab only gives you ~1 degree. In the airplane I flew pitch trim was electric only, so it the pitch trim failed, you could still fly the jet with no issues, although coming aboard, could get a bit sporty. Suffice it to sa, if they kept turning it back on and every time it came on it kept trimming nose down, well we know the rest.

What the link said is that above a certain speed, it is impossible to trim manually. They kept turning it on so they could use the trim tabs on the wheel. Then MCAS would kick in and they would be right back to where they were.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

278 members (219 Wasp, 2five7, 1lessdog, 29aholic, 1_deuce, 01Foreman400, 41 invisible), 2,318 guests, and 1,189 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,206
Posts18,503,822
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.