Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 30 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 29 30
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
Okay, I seriously doubt my question will be properly answered. I am not looking for a bunch of venom spit at Leupold. Call it a poll.

Given the overwhelmingly negative reaction to Leupold's live streaming event, what will you buy now?

This question is aimed at people who may wish to buy a specialty scope, or the ones who are fed up with Leupold. Whether it's tomorrow or next year, which manufacturer do you think will get your business?

Have you been screened for dementia?

GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
So 2% of Leupolds are returned for repair and 2% are actually found to have problems. Now that is QC, do they think people are that gullible? Whatever happened to companies with integrity? I bought my last Leupold in 2012 a VXR 3-9x40 .

Im pretty sure they said 2 OUT OF 1,000 (0.2%)come back for repair, then ONLY 2 OUT OF 100(2%) of those actually are defective. So that is saying that 98% of people sending their Leupold back really are ‘OK’.

This is ridiculously low and IF CORRECT, no wonder they stood there on video laughing at times, etc...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
So 2% of Leupolds are returned for repair and 2% are actually found to have problems. Now that is QC, do they think people are that gullible? Whatever happened to companies with integrity? I bought my last Leupold in 2012 a VXR 3-9x40 .

Im pretty sure they said 2 OUT OF 1,000 (0.2%)come back for repair, then ONLY 2 OUT OF 100(2%) of those actually are defective. So that is saying that 98% of people sending their Leupold back really are ‘OK’.

This is ridiculously low and IF CORRECT, no wonder they stood there on video laughing at times, etc...

All that says is that the scopes are not tested for retaining zero...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Everything I own used to wear Leupold, right now I have sold all of them and replaced them with Zeiss, SWFA , Nikon and Burris. I’m done with Leupold, I have zero confidence in them and I don’t have the patience to [bleep] with the whole multiple shots to shoot in adjustments and all the time wasted BS I have had to deal with using them. I laugh when I see them on the shelves with their newest greatest features and these high prices knowing good and well it’s an overpriced hunk of [bleep] that won’t cut it at even the most basic task a scope is designed to perform. A lot,of guys I know that aren’t very experienced shooters but want to get in the game ask me for advice because they know I shoot a lot. When they ask me for scope advice and even mention Leupold I slap em in the face. I have steered quite a few guys towards SWFA and even the Nikon tacticals and have heard no complaints.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by noKnees

Steve,
I have been a pretty big leupold fan, more half my scopes are Leupolds and I have something like 16 ( if I didn't miss one or two as I added them up) fixed 4 or 6s. While I dabble in other things mostly I am mostly a set and forget guy who hunts deer, bear moose and the occasional elk.

I have had variable leupold scopes fail, but not a fixed rifle scope. I can deal with the "leupold dance" during sight in as long as the scope hold zero afterwards. I appreciate the small form factor, light weight, eye relief and reasonable cost of the leupold fixed scopes.

However all the talk about failing scopes has me a little concerned, so the last scope I bought ( this spring) was a meopta 6x42 and I am trying to give it a good work out on a 338. In past years I would buy 3-5 scopes a year but I have really tried to shoot and hunt more and stop putting together rifles, so I think my big scope buying days are over.

however If night force would do a 6x36 or 6x40 with a simple hold over reticle ( like burris BP) that weighed less than 15oz I would buy a cuple for my most heavily used rifles. if they could do the same for a 4x32 a clean scope that was less than 12oz I could go for a couple of those as well. Big turrets, even capped ones and complex reticles and 20oz scopes are deal killers for me.

I appreciate this. I have never been a Leupold guy, so I was wondering, if the brand quality has gotten worse, how present and potential users felt. My only exposure to Leupold is with their 4 power hunting scopes. I have owned three. The last one had to go back for repairs. It was the old friction adjusting type that failed to adjust. After the live streaming, it seemed that the majority of people weren't happy with Leupold's answers. The responses have been overwhelmingly negative. Does that mean even more people are rethinking a Leupold purchase?

I guess the problem seems to be that there aren't too many alternatives to Leupold, if weight is a concern. NF scopes are heavier. You are probably in the same boat as others, wondering if there is anything out there. You might have to look at Europe for a scope.

https://www.kaps-optik.de/en/sport-...ne/classic-line-6-x-42.html#collapse4446

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by HunterT
I always get a belly chuckle when I see “hunters” buying these lightweight rifles and then throwing a 2 lb scope on there.

Or guys that claim to be in-shape 'hunters', whine about 8 extra ounces. I'm old and outta shape, but having a scope that is a tad weighty-er (but works) has NEVER held me back.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Okay, I seriously doubt my question will be properly answered. I am not looking for a bunch of venom spit at Leupold. Call it a poll.

Given the overwhelmingly negative reaction to Leupold's live streaming event, what will you buy now?

This question is aimed at people who may wish to buy a specialty scope, or the ones who are fed up with Leupold. Whether it's tomorrow or next year, which manufacturer do you think will get your business?

Have you been screened for dementia?

Hears his voice in his head and likes it, a lot....Echo chamber for one. 😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
The most interesting thing is seeing the folks that unapologetically are still defending Leupold after that joke of a presentation. Their attitude and condescending tone was embarrassing. Anyone associated with that presentation should be embarrassed.

Brand loyalty makes lots of folks blind to reality. Elmer Fudds like Redgewell are exactly who they are marketing too...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by huntsman22
I always get a belly chuckle when I see “hunters” buying these lightweight rifles and then throwing a 2 lb scope on there.

Or guys that claim to be in-shape 'hunters', whine about 8 extra ounces. I'm old and outta shape, but having a scope that is a tad weighty-er (but works) has NEVER held me back.

Never heard anyone coming back from an actual long distance hiking hunt saying they wanted a heavier rifle/scope. There is a huge difference in 8 ounces of live weight bouncing in your hands rather than attached to your body.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Never heard anyone coming back from an actual long distance hiking hunt saying they wanted a heavier rifle/scope. There is a huge difference in 8 ounces of live weight bouncing in your hands rather than attached to your body.

And a big wish it was there where your Leupold fails 15 miles in..

- Greg

IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by GregW
The most interesting thing is seeing the folks that unapologetically are still defending Leupold after that joke of a presentation. Their attitude and condescending tone was embarrassing. Anyone associated with that presentation should be embarrassed.

Brand loyalty makes lots of folks blind to reality. Elmer Fudds like Redgewell are exactly who their clientele is and won't be around forever.

I have nothing to do with this thread. grin

You are a classic troll. Try to stay focused on the discussion. Please feel free to contribute something positive rather than trying, and failing, to rabble rouse.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub
I have steered quite a few guys towards SWFA and even the Nikon tacticals and have heard no complaints.

I bought an older used Nikon 2.5-10 tactical a few years back with the 30mm tube and etched reticle. It's worked well so far, and seems solid enough. Tracks fine for me and the glass looks really good.

Now with even more aplomb
To each their own sir. I was wasn’t whining but merely pointing out the humor in that that hunting rig.

The world is full of bastards, the number increasing rapidly the further one gets from Missoula, MT
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

Brand loyalty makes lots of folks blind to reality. Elmer Fudds like Redgewell are exactly who their clientele is and won't be around forever.

I have nothing to do with this thread. grin

You are a classic troll. Try to stay focused on the discussion. Please feel free to contribute something positive rather than trying, and failing, to rabble rouse.

Hardly pard...

You're the one bringing stupid crap up that's been discussed thousands of times...

- Greg

Originally Posted by Sitka deer

And a big wish it was there where your Leupold fails 15 miles in..

Guess you better only hike 14.9 miles then

The world is full of bastards, the number increasing rapidly the further one gets from Missoula, MT
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Leupold knows, way before the dog and pony show.

LOL
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
If anyone thought that Leupold was going to come out and say, we know we have a zero retention issue or a tracking issue, your nuts. Imagine what a competitor would do with a statement like that. I have no doubt a few people recorded the presentation and its likely been seen by folks in the sales and marketing groups of some competitors by now. If leupold had admitted an issue it would be all over the internet, just like the MPI popsicle stick picture was a few years ago.

Working for a big company I can tell you it takes a lot of repeated feed back to get the folks in product management to see issues. If Doug's out reach to leupold did just a tiny part of it its good thing. Its likely going to take more and then, engineering changes take months or years to affect and advertising that changes are under ways is the same as saying current product isn't up to snuff, so your unlikely to hear anything until there is a new design ready to hit the market.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Leupold knows, way before the dog and pony show.

They wouldn't be in business for as long as they have without having something on the ball. I wonder if Leupold is taking this seriously? Are they discussing options for the way forward, or are they going to bury their head in the sand? It's a waiting game now to see what, if anything, they intend to do to placate their present and future customer base.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I'm with h22 on this. I put NF SHV on all my rifles except 1 - all Kimber Montana's BTW. I've been carrying them day hunting, backpacking, hunting in mountains, east and west, and never noticed the extra 7-8 oz. I'll not trade reliability for 7-8 oz ever again. I'll be sure to shoot a bull with 8oz less antlers for the trip back to the truck to compensate. Or maybe I'll give the Gray Jays an extra handful of meat to chew on. cool

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Originally Posted by bwinters

I'm with h22 on this. I put NF SHV on all my rifles except 1 - all Kimber Montana's BTW. I've been carrying them day hunting, backpacking, hunting in mountains, east and west, and never noticed the extra 7-8 oz. I'll not trade reliability for 7-8 oz ever again. I'll be sure to shoot a bull with 8oz less antlers for the trip back to the truck to compensate. Or maybe I'll give the Gray Jays an extra handful of meat to chew on. cool

If you are actively holding the rifle in your hands the majority of the time, weight does make a difference. 8 ounces of pack weight is a different animal.

Side note: it’s completely laughable you’re talking about reliability of equipment yet you hunt with Kimber rifles.

Page 5 of 30 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 29 30

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

96 members (35, 10Glocks, 375TN, 6mmCreedmoor, 308ld, 8 invisible), 1,573 guests, and 837 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,327
Posts18,505,904
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.