L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by Calhoun
The reason for the 1800 deaths is:
1) They have the oldest population in Europe, and it hits old people the hardest
2) They totally failed to contain or slow it down, and cases came fast and all together into a socialized health system that is flat broke and totally overwhelmed.

They are literally having to choose from those coming in who is the most likely to survive and putting them on ventilators. Others get pain management and end of life care.

This is the reason for "social distancing" - to spread the number of cases out over months rather than weeks so the hospitals can keep up.

So go fishing, go shooting.. avoid folks for a while. This isn't a hardship for folks like us. grin

I like your attitude.

Good advice, good points. Also consider most older Italians live with their families, not in nursing homes or retirement communities.. Kids or younger adults bring it home and it's good-by Gramps.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Originally Posted by oklahunter
I have several family members in high risk catagories. I don’t want them to die because some dumbass can’t put aside bias and think through the data.
They won't get it if they are smart & take care of themselves. Wanting everyone else to change their behavior when you could easily control your own is the very definition of a liberal.

What does "taking care of themselves" mean. Does it mean having a relative wear a mask, hood, hazmat and bringing them a ton of food from WW and staying at home and spraying down everything with 25% bleach or vinegar or h2o2 from the grocer and the hazmat relative before its brought into the house, or what?

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Tarquin
7 percent....24,700 confirmed cases and 1800 deaths. Do the math.
..................What Italy DID NOT do at first is impose a travel ban coming into their country after the outbreak.......And now? Did not do it quick enough.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Tyrone, It’s not about politics. Your reply is the kind of stupidity I expect from dumbass teenage boys. Or Nigerian internet trolls.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by WoodsyAl
The skepticism here would be amusing if if weren’t so scary. This is serious. The Chinese apparently have slowed it down, but they essentially closed down a city of 10-12 million or so to do it. You really think that authoritarian government did that over the common cold?

And all of those 10-12million are still holding in place. May have slowed it down outside the city, but if it is that lethal they should be dying exponentially within. You essentially have a 10-12 million double blind study population in which to make a decision.

Our transplant centers are made up with immune compromised patients. They are not under quarantine, and those that are able, walk around within the center. They should be contacting it in numbers far above those outside.

Someone here insinuated those damn millennials are one of the bigger reasons we are going to have a problem....That was an interesting piece of rational argument... Maybe we should quarantine millennials....

"Old folks bogie and bogie they will....."

Last edited by battue; 03/16/20.

laissez les bons temps rouler
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tyrone, It’s not about politics. Your reply is the kind of stupidity I expect from dumbass teenage boys. Or Nigerian internet trolls.
Why should I quarantine myself when I really DGAS if I get it?
If you are in a risk group, you should at least have 2 brain cells to rub together and figure out that you are going to have to self-quarantine.

You're the one that sounds like a self-centered Millennial - "Wha!!! The World's not fair!!! Everybody change for MEEEEEE!!!!!!"

Politics is War by Other Means
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
They dying like crazy in Nigeria, Somalia? Should be by now....third world countries with little health care...If Italy is under siege, can you imagine....Try....

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
If you are in a risk group, you should at least have 2 brain cells to rub together and figure out that you are going to have to self-quarantine.

You're the one that sounds like a self-centered Millennial - "Wha!!! The World's not fair!!! Everybody change for MEEEEEE!!!!!!"

This place is full of old self-centered cranky old men....Mean too.....I work with a bunch of millennials. Mean????... They have nothing on some of the cranky old boomers and before that post on here....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Because you may not know that you have it while being contagious?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I just read a very interesting article and saw a good graph.

Italy is quadrupling every six days. So are we. Italy was largely dismissive as we have been.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by broomd

Average Age of Italians Who Have Died From Coronavirus is 81.
Jim Hoft by Jim Hoft March 15, 2020

It appears Coronavirus is a Deadly Senior’s disease

The Italian government released numbers on the coronavirus last week.
There were 1,809 new cases of the deadly disease reported in Italy on Sunday.

The Italian government also recently released the percentage of deaths by age group.

90+ years old: 6% of deaths
80 – 89 years old: 42% of deaths
70 – 79 years old: 35% of deaths
60 – 69 years old: 16% of deaths

These numbers came from the World Health Organization YouTube page.

Yeah, several times higher than the flu, as in 10x deadlier.
I'm betting that a lot of people who think they have the flu actually have CV. They just stay in bed and get well in a week. Only a small pct are ever tested so any numbers are meaningless. The CDC estimates that this season the US has had between 35 mill and 49 mill flu cases. That's a huge variation in the estimate and it's a guess at best simply because so many cases aren't reported. Quite likely a good number of them are CV, not the normal flu, if there is any such thing as 'normal'.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

Because you may not know that you have it while being contagious?

If one doesn't know they are sick and contagious, then when do they quarantine themselves....

Cold is a virus, flu is a virus, this is a virus....Like the other two, can you get it more than once.....

This is a virus, it is out there and like it or not, it is not going away....It will most likely mutate many times and people are going to be getting and dying from it generations from now....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by battue
This place is full of old self-centered cranky old men....Mean too.....I work with a bunch of millennials. Mean????... They have nothing on some of the cranky old boomers and before that post on here....
LOL! I bet you call people by their "preferred pronouns" too. laugh

Politics is War by Other Means
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
I haven't heard, but I'm betting cancer centers are REALLY wary, and concerned !
I've heard of nothing exceptional, like I expected to happen.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Antisocial means antibacterial and antiviral.

I've been a cool kid for a long while

smile

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
As of today, in my burg..........

cancer, smoking, car wrecks and thugs, still killing more in each catagory, than the Gookflu.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Obits full of old people.
Like usual.
The under 25 folks, suicide, murder and vehicle accidents.
quite a few in the 40's and 50's from alcoholism (seen em as low as 35).

The heroin and fentanyl has slowed way down.
But 4 OD's on scanner last night/today.
Oddly, people doing this chit in their cars, slumped at lights or in parking lots.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
You are talking to some Italian guy you just met, he can't keep his hands off of you.

Didn’t the mayor of Florence entourage people there to hug a Chinese to show they aren’t racist or afraid of Corona?

Even in the best of time who wants to hug a Chinaman?

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I

And really, I don't care if you get it either. But I do care about all the other people you will infect during the two week contagious incubation period. Any moral person would care about that.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
He said he doesn’t care if he gets it. He didn’t say he doesn’t care if he transmits it.

But don’t let that stop you from dancing the old folks bogie. 👏🏻

Now:

“The novel coronavirus is highly contagious, which means it spreads easily from person to person. According to the CDCTrusted Source, people who have the virus are most contagious when they’re showing symptoms of COVID-19.

Although it’s much less common, there’s a possibility that someone who is infected with the coronavirus can transmit the virus even if they’re not showing symptoms.”

Now, if he shows the symptoms or tests positive then he should avoid unnecessary contacts.

However, I still question how any who are non symptomatic would quarantine themselves.

Those who are high risk should quarantine themselves if they are worried.

Page 5 of 23 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 22 23

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

521 members (1minute, 1badf350, 2500HD, 22250rem, 12savage, 1beaver_shooter, 50 invisible), 2,435 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,293
Posts18,505,293
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.