Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Rod, I heard both 37s and Model 12s do the "machine gun" thing occasionally in our Great Southeast Asian Learning Experience. Amazing what adrenaline AND caffeine can do for a young guy! And if a rattler on your bootlaces or a string of those greenish-white tracers right over your head doesn't start an adrenaline waterfall in your system, you don't have to worry....you're already dead.

I agree that a 99 carries much more naturally than a 760. But if you're a pump shotgunner all fall and winter and the big game thing only happens for you a couple of days a year, a 760 makes a whole lot of sense.

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've had a little experience with 3 different Remington pumps in my life. My dad had a 760 in .270 with a tip off Pachmayer (sp?) scope mount with a Redfield 6x scope on it that he shot the hell out of and as far as I know never jammed once.

He was so impressed with it that he bought a second one,also in .270 with a Bushnell Scope Chief 2.5-8 command post. This one also got hunted with a lot and never jammed either. I now have this one and my brother has the other one and both are still going strong.

In the early 90's I bought a used model 76 which was apparently a no frills version of the 760 with plain birch (I think) stock and a kind of matte bluing. It was in .30-06 and I killed quite a few deer,hogs and coyote's with it and put a LOT of rounds through it and one day I was going to pop a big nanny doe and "Click" shocked The doe stomped her foot,bugged out her eyes and stood there so I jacked a fresh cartridge in and "Click"! mad She had finally had enough and took off for a quieter place where idjits didn't make clicking noises at her.

I took it into the gun smith after trying several more times to get it to fire and it turned out that a plastic disk,spacer or the like in the pump tube had broken and was keeping the bolt from locking into battery all the way. It didn't cost much to fix and I sold it after I inherited Dad's 760 and Winny Model 88. The guy I sold it to is still shooting it with no problems.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Mesa...yep...two tours...L-19's with 5th Spl Forces the first one ...USAF FAC...used to call those green tracers "neon golf balls". Welcome home brother...Rod

Thank a vet for your freedoms to worship, assemble, speech and vote. Preachers, politicians, journalists, and other elected officials had nothing to do with it.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Back in the 90s I saw a Savage slide action rifle in .300 Savage at a gunshow. Seller said it was a R&D gun, from a
distance it looked like a Remington 141.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Jerico--

Was it a Savage or a Remington? Ken Blauch's book on the Remington 14 & 141 talks about a R&D 141 chambered in .300 Savage. Apparently they made half a dozen in the early 1940s and then got distracted with war production.

Rod

Hunting FOR Savages, Hunting WITH Savages
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Did not know they they made any 141's in 300 Savage. Not to say they didn't, just never heard that.

IMO The 141's are to 14's what post mil 99s are to pre mil 99s.

I would not trade a model 14 for 2 141's

Last edited by 99guy; 11/30/11.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
IMO The 141's are to 14's what post mil 99s are to pre mil 99s.

I would not trade a model 14 for 2 141's

I agree, and I feel the same way about the Remington Model 8 semi-auto vs the Model 81. Fed-ex is bringing me one TOMORROW!

Rod

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You can't even compare the 8's to the 81's.

That is like comparing a princess to a pig. grin

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Yup, comparing two ugly guns ,pretty much a waste of time !!!!! crazy crazy Remintons attempt to build shoulder straddled po-go sticks !!!!!!! grin Don

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Rod:

My best model 14 is a 2nd year production (1913) 4 digit serial number in 30 Remington. All original, no extra holes and with the early original wheel adjustable factory rear sight. I'd take a picture of it an post it, but I'm to lazy.

I almost fainted when the guy I bought it from said he couldn't take any less than 400 for it. crazy

They are really slick little guns. The actions feel like glass sliding on ball bearings lubricated by snot.

I'm really surprised they weren't more popular in their day, cause they are way cool.

Best pump action rifle ever made IMO

~Admiral Yamamoto~

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Don:

The model 8's might have been ugly, but they were pretty damn reliable.

Many an old timer swore by them.

Edit: The AK-47 ain't much to look at either wink grin

~Admiral Yamamoto~

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
I did have a nice Remintin last year , model 14 1/2 in 44-40 with a peep sight ,90 + rifle!! traded toward a Deluxe winchester !! grin

R
R
I have been shooting a remington 760 pump for 35 years....mine will group 3 shots in 3" a 200 yards and is fast as lighting. If you like the 300 savage cartridge, as I do ( I just bought a savage 99 in that caliber) by all means buy the remington. The slide action absorbs some of the recoil during regular shooting and the 300 is not a heavy recoiling caliber...best of luck with it.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
which is more desireable....300 Sav. or .35 Rem. in the 760 platform?

Kindness invites abuse
du ma nhieu
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Depends on which one you already have.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Depends how FAR you have to shoot. If you're out west in the baldies, the .300 is MUCH better. Back East in the tick jungles, a .35 is fine. And traditional. And easier to find ammo for.

given equal condition, I'd go for the .300. It works in the woods, too.

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by raljr1
I have been shooting a remington 760 pump for 35 years....mine will group 3 shots in 3" a 200 yards and is fast as lighting. If you like the 300 savage cartridge, as I do ( I just bought a savage 99 in that caliber) by all means buy the remington. The slide action absorbs some of the recoil during regular shooting and the 300 is not a heavy recoiling caliber...best of luck with it.

Ok, I'll bite. How can a locked breech manually operated gun "absorb" recoil?

And to all who boast about "fast as lightning" repeated shots (from any kind of gun), why is that a good feature? Are we laying down suppressing fire on the deer now? (Perhaps if one were being assailed by big herds of angry 8-pointers intent on goring us we would truly have a need for rapid fire.) I guess I was antediluvian all those years I carried a single shot!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Originally Posted by raljr1

Ok, I'll bite. How can a locked breech manually operated gun "absorb" recoil?

And to all who boast about "fast as lightning" repeated shots (from any kind of gun), why is that a good feature? Are we laying down suppressing fire on the deer now? (Perhaps if one were being assailed by big herds of angry 8-pointers intent on goring us we would truly have a need for rapid fire.) I guess I was antediluvian all those years I carried a single shot!

Gary,

Do you recall reading this recently anywhere?????? gringrin grin

Nan and I fired 4 shots and had 4 dead deer.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Steve--

When are you going to post some pictures and your story from this fall's Anticosti hunt? How many notches did you cut in the stock of that pretty rifle?

Rod

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Are we laying down suppressing fire on the deer now?

...now that is funny schit...you can't make that schit up!!!! laugh laugh laugh

Kindness invites abuse
du ma nhieu
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

510 members (1lessdog, 12344mag, 10ring1, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 1badf350, 54 invisible), 17,008 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,837
Posts18,537,204
Members74,047
Most Online18,634
12 minutes ago

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.