Originally Posted by elkhunter76
Nope just some whitetail jerky! Everyone liked it and nobody died! grin Thanks for the link, I will check it out. Might make some antelope jerky as soon as my antelope-cicle thaws out. Killed it Saturday, hung it up to cool out and it was 17 degrees the next morning...brrrrrr. Glad I didn't kill that bull elk late Saturday night. A whole frozen antelope is one thing...a whole frozen elk is hard to deal with.

I hope you can eat your 'lopecicle! Shot a deer in Manitoba years ago, and it quickly froze because it was real cold. I forget the temperature, but I do recall that it was so cold that I had to keep backing up when I took a pizz... wink

Anyway, I later found out about meat and cold-shortening. frown
The mechanism is that the meat cools so fast that glycogen is still present in the muscle (rather than being converted to lactic acid as it would with even a bit of normal-rate cooling). The muscle fibres contract using the glycogen as an energy source, and stay contracted. You can subsequently age this meat until it rots into a pile of goo, but nothing will get those little actin and mysin filaments to relax...

The meat on the deer I mention was like the tread on a truck tire (and this was not an old deer by any means). Even the hamburger was chewy -- and it was ground twice! frown

I thought about trying to market Odocoileus virginianus chewing gum... but I knew I'd never get a second purchase from anybody. frown

John
PS: sorry for the biology teacher explanation -- can't help myself! smile