Originally Posted by hookeye
Im a hunter and a shooter.
Grew up reloading and varmint hunting.

Have never long range hunted deer.
Not something I really want to do.

But it might happen.
If so, I will have practiced for it.

I don't shoot at stuff.

Shoot expecting a dead animal. Or I just don't shoot.

My limits, are my limits. They might change from current though.

Expect to play around at 500 and farther this summer, with a new rifle.

Let us know how things go for you as you begin to stretch things out.
E

Will do.
Be interesting to see how it goes.
Everybody has to start someplace (assuming they are willing to try/learn).

I offer this little bit of advice to anyone I happen across that's expressing interest in long range shooting. Find a club near you that hosts PRS matches. That's the Precision Rifle Series. It's a nationwide disapline of rifle competition that has figured out how to encompass all levels of skill set and equipment with the goal of elevating everyone who seeks to move up their own personal ladder.
I would first start by just going and observing the goings on at a few matches, mentioning to a few folks that you're interested in learning to shoot long range, and just let it snowball from there. I have no doubt you will meet people more than willing to advise, help, and even share equipment when it comes time to actually shoot a match. I've seen with my own eyes several times seasoned shooters offering to lend a rifle and ammo to a new shooter. There's a VERY good chance those people you find to talk to were once in your exact shoes wanting to learn from someone.
You will find that you do not need to jump right in with a huge investment in equipment. Yeah, there's a lot of shooters that do go nuts with gear, but I've seen a lot of good shooters make it through a match with just a bipod and something that functions as a rear bag. The Armageddon Gear Game Changer bag is a superb multi use piece of kit that works as a rear bag and a dozen other things. Anything you read on PRS will tell you that your rifle need only be 1 MOA capable, and common sense tells you to use an optic that will get you out to distance.
PRS puts you in all kinds of situations and positions that are very "hunting" applicable. Quite frankly some of it is good urban training as well if you can imagine what I'm saying. I've shot stages that included pickup truck beds, shooting from inside an SUV vehicle out the back window and out the side, and shooting from the vehicle's roof and hood. All kinds of concrete props, piles of tires, 55 gal drums, boulder rocks, logs, barricades, tank traps, and even a stage that mimicked shooting off a rocking boat at Woody's in NC. There's a 4 story tower at Virginia International Raceway shooting range that we shot from and got a good taste of high angle shooting from up there. Just about anything a MD can dream up for stages goes, he's in total control of what his match consists of.
One single season of shooting PRS matches and talking to those people will teach you more about real world long range shooting than just about anything else. You will burn at least 100 rounds a match at ranges from 250 or 300 yards out to 1200 yards depending on the venue. It will humble you 8 ways to Sunday, and if you possess the drive to learn and take solid advice, and can self critique, you will be a competent long range shooter in short order.

OH NO!!!

Don’t recommend shooting friendly competitions to improve your long range shooting and hunting!

Xphunter will have a meltdown!

Last edited by rcamuglia; 12/20/23.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.