Originally Posted by T_Inman
I know of 3 nice mule deer 4x4 bucks that came out of southern Idaho archery hunts, all with 80+ yard shots.

One guy I don’t know well shot one at over 100 yards (supposedly) and I suspect he just put his 80 yard pin 5 feet over the bucks’s back and let ‘er rip. I have a pic of that buck alive somewhere when I jumped him pheasant hunting near Rupert earlier in the year.

The other two bucks came out of the Owyhees from a hunter I have known for years. I would trust that guy to take a responsible 80 yard shot with a bow way before I’d trust the vast majority of rifle hunters to take a 100 yard shot.

I guess that is my way of saying, I see long range bow hunting just like long range rifle hunting. Some can responsibly do it, and some shouldn’t even have a tag. It is what it is. I am not the one who should decide who is who.
There is NO SUCH THING as a "responsible" 100 yard bow shot at a whitetail. The arrows time of flight is way too long and YOU HAVE NO CONTROL of what the deer does while the arrow is on it's way. Most responsible, experienced bow hunters here will not attempt a shot longer than 40 yards with the fastest of compound bows for that reason.