I think it's ego that drives excessive range shooting. That and a miss conception that it's the only shot you'll get. I hear quite often about the shot "I had to take". That shot does exist but usually it's a dangerous game animal attacking you and rather than at 600 yds, it's at 6 feet! After that there is never a shot you have to take! That is nothing more than an excuse for taking a low odds shot. Low odds may be different for some people as I'm sure some do practice at extreme ranges. But reading wind plays into it at long range and reading wind is done pretty well by some I think but not by most! I have been asked a few times to take shots I know I was not qualified to take, I turn them down. Thing I'd hate to do is wound some animal for a lingering death or even worse, loose it! But I'll admit sometimes getting closer can be a challenge but I'd still rather give up the shot than risk wounding. Down side is shooting game at long range is not illegal, should be I think but how do you enforce it? Simply have to hope the shooter is as good as he claims, few are!