Originally Posted by KillerBee
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Want to stop a deer long enough for a bow or rifle shot?

Make a "Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa" squeal with your mouth, they will stop, and stand at attention, and hold steady long enough for a shot. I have been doing exactly that for many moons!

Works like a charm cool
I first started stopping them with a grunt or blat when I was a kid and killing them with a .22 LR and head shots. It doesn't always work at close range with archery equipment. When they immediately snap to attention focused on you, the situation is ripe for them to jump string. BTDT complete miss over the back from 25 yards with my old Browning Boss Mantis.

Like I said with the old crappy bows, gotta aim low and expect the "String Jump" to compensate at close range.

We are parsing words! Do what works for you, I have ZERO ISSUES with that, and I'll do what works for me. I guess it's all a matter of preference and experience. cool
It's obvious from this thread that some people are more tolerant of the risk of a wounded and/or lost animal once in a while than others. I've found the older I get, the lower my tolerance has become. Shots I would have taken 40 years ago I won't take today. I hate inflicting suffering on an animal.

So are you saying that xphunter should stop shooting at Elk @ 600 yards with his handguns as well?
Hanguns shyt, what I saw were mostly scoped rifles without butt stocks.

lol.

So maybe xphunting will chime in here because I do not know how fast his bullets fly from his handguns?

But.......

@ 280 FPS an arrow will hit the mark in .08 of a second @ 80 yards, I wonder how long it takes for his handgun bullet to hit the mark at 600 yards?

Mine flies @ 293 FPS, last time I checked, so that would be faster than .08 at 80 yards and will hit the mark way faster than that at 40 yards which is out of your comfort zone.
293 fps ain't much faster than my Browning @74 LBS. and 31" draw was moving the old XX75 ultra lights and that buck I spoke of earlier had no problem getting completely out of the way from 25 yards. Your deer must be lethargic if they can't move with 40 yards to work with and arrows going 293 fps. You got pot growing around your hunting area ?