Originally Posted by T_Inman
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I’ve been around moose in Maine, Montana and here. None were skittish or difficult to approach. No matter where they are or how hard they're hunted there's no excuse for shooting at a game animal from a distance where you can't be 99% sure of a first round hit in the vitals.

Well I’m sorry you feel that way about the moose, despite it being quite the deflection from my point. I’d agree with the 99% sure of a first round hit thing…if not bumping it up to 100%.

I won’t endorse folks who lob rounds at critters without being confident in their ability, but there are people who can and do make 600+ yard game shots with much, much more reliability than many hunters do at 100 yards. Many of those guys with the ability also have the discipline to hold their shot if conditions aren’t right, regardless of the distance. I can’t say that with the same confidence about people who insist only shorter range shots should be taken or allowed.

Some people have ethics and other’s don’t, however they’re defined.

Carry on, I guess.
Whatever range you can be sure of placing a quickly fatal shot is ethical. Whether it constitutes "hunting" or not is a matter of opinion and debatable. I'd like to see someone who can consistently place their shots with precision under field conditions at 600 yards and beyond but so far no joy. Jim over on Backfire issued a challenge a few weeks ago to anyone who believes they can hit 100 one gallon jugs in a row at various, random distances out to 600 yards to come and prove it and he would pay your air fare. So far there have been few takers and the couple who have tried failed to maintain even an 80% hit rate. Jim claims he has shot with some of the best in the Country and has yet to see anyone who can do it. I would say step up and take his challenge and go prove it if you can. Last I knew he was still waiting to hear from you and would like to see it himself.