Originally Posted by Calvin
Burns,

Do you tell your shooters to aim for high shoulder? Out of the ones you've seen killed, what was the "worst" angle the animal was at? Do you have any limitations? (like no head on shots, etc)

(I have a box of them and plan on loading them up for deer hunting)

At distance I always just go for the shoulder and mid way up the body. I do seem to get lucky as a percentage with DRTs from that shot. If the shot lands at or above mid line it is usually DRT, if the shot is below mid line then they may travel a short distance.

Biggest or maybe most common mistake is hitting to high if going for a high shoulder. If the bullet hits above the spine in the dorsal ridges the animal collapse but will regain it mobility.

The �worst angle� is the grizzly bear in the Greybull video at the top of the custom forum. I hit him behind the ribs raking forward and you can see the water blow off his shoulder from the impact. I think he ran about 40yds and started to sway. The next shot was as he was facing directly away and hit him in the center of the back, DRT. That was the 180gr VLD in a 7mm Mag.

I don�t have any qualms about head on shots other than the target is quite a bit smaller. VLDs work fine for those shots.

Originally Posted by archie_james_c

EDITED- Apology sent.

Originally Posted by jstall
Edited Apology accepted

Thanks guys for cleaning up the thread. smile

Originally Posted by 1minute
A bit of stretch for that caliber/cartridge in my book, but it looks like it worked.

Pretty fair assessment.

Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
Originally Posted by BuckeyeSpecial
.....the 105 gr. 243 bullet has approximately 600lbs. of energy left at 700 yards [presuming the 3100 FPS Maximum velocity at the muzzle.....

A 105gr Berger VLD at 3100 fps mv will retain about 2140 fps/1068 ft-lbs at 700 yards, at 5000' el.

Shane,
Thanks. I suspect he doesn�t let the facts get in the way of a good emotional response. grin

Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
It is obvious a 243 can kill an elk, but that doesn't mean it isn't a stunt especially at long range. If a 243 is the end all, then why does Mr. Burns himself offer larger chamberings?

Dogcatcher223,

In addition to all the other good answers (Tom, Dober, JWP, teal) you have gotten I would add that I personally like a little more reach than 700yds when talking elk.
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
My hat is off to Mr Burns and his Daughter.

Thanks for the kind words but she is just a friend. I got to know her because we share some pasture. She has half a dozen horses and I keep my mules on the same place.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.