Originally Posted by MadMooner
John,
How close to an animal have you loosed a VLD?
They obviously perform great at extended range, how about <100 yards?

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I can't answer for John Burns, but I've killed a number of animals at less than 100 yards with VLD's, and have seen several other people do it. The bullets ranged from 115-grain .25's to 185-grain .30's, with several others in between, and the shortest range was 18 yards.

Originally Posted by jlboykin
I'm not John or JB, but I've some experience with the vld at short range. Shot two antelope and an oryx in the past two months with 6.5 140 vld this year (3175 fps at the muzzle). Both antelope were under 100 yards and the oryx at 140 yards.

One of the antelope and the oryx performed perfectly. The other antelope was shot high in the shoulder, shooting slightly uphill. Ending up making a mess of him. I suspect that I hit the spine, which caused the mess. Made a quick follow up shot to put him kill him. He wasn't going anywhere, but I wasn't going to wait on him to bleed out.

Madmooner,

My results have also been very positive. While I am pretty lazy and inept, once in a while I am also really lucky and stumble into something at closer range. grin

I always figured your bullet had better work up close as a first priority. After you are sure you have good �normal� range performance then you can start to use long range performance as criteria in selecting your hunting bullet.

I would have no qualms shooting an elk right in the shoulder at 50yds with the .243 Win/105 VLD and have seen it work successfully in that exact situation.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.